Monday, February 4, 2008

A Room of One's Own


Virginia Woolf
Originally uploaded by litmuse
Isn't that picture stunning?

In the last post, I briefly touched on trying not to feel so damn selfish about carving out my own time for creative pursuits. I doubt I'm the only one who struggles with this.

During the week, I find myself being caught up in work and tidying up and cooking and grabbing some time with my husband. Weekends are generally spent hanging out with my husband and friends. And I enjoy doing all these things, even (bizarrely) the tidying up.

However, I feel like more and more I let my own creative time fall by the wayside. Its my own fault. I feel guilty about working on something in a room by myself and not loafing with my hubby on the couch snuggling with the dog. In fact, my husband has gotten into jokingly calling time spent on my own to be time spent "ignoring him and the dog" which I doubt he believes but it still causes a pang here and there.

So my new plan of action is to carve out an average of 1.5 - 2 hours a day just to be spent on creative pursuits. Ban the phrase "ignoring" from the household vocabulary. Encourage hubby to further explore his own artistic pursuits like his badass photography. Get up earlier so I can get some of the household stuff outta the way sooner and not let it suck up my after work time. And then it won't feel selfish. It'll be like going to the gym - part of the day's schedule that is really good for me. (Although my gym going habits could use some reinforcing as well).

I like having a plan of attack.

2 comments:

Captain Skulduggery Dug said...

Oooooo! If you love to tidy, I have a house that could do with your help :)

It's not selfish to spend time creating gorgeous goodies to share with the world. What if Picasso or caravaggio had thought like that? What if Henry Moore had not sculpted because he thought to do so was selfish?

Let your creativity win the battle. Housework is all very necessary, but if corners get cut and left... I bet no one notices but you.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous endeavour, I should make that resolution myself!