Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Friday, October 17, 2008
Thursday, October 16, 2008
I hold Francesca Lia Block on a high pedestal for giving teenage me a character like Weetzie Bat. So when I spotted this book of her poetry, I was giddy. It did not at all live up to my excitement.
How To (Un)Cage a Girl is full of poetry that could have been written by an average teenage girl. Many poems just felt like reworded poems from earlier in the book. The poem "collage" was just strung together autobiographical comments that actually just made me embarassed for Block. Bad bad bad.
The only one I could stand was "l.a. bacchantes" and that was merely cause I imagined my 13 year old self might have liked it.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Friday, October 10, 2008
And of course I cannot resist posting my favorite line from the book.
"I had wanted to wrap this book up in a neat little package. I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned the hard way that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end."
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Monday, October 6, 2008
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Areas I want to work on:
And here's the plan.
1. Health - I need to get my butt in gear. I've just not had the energy I'd like to and that's entirely my fault for slacking on the exercise and not paying attention to my diet. So a couple of days ago I started a Sparkpeople page and I'm using it to track fitness and diet. I'm excited about this.
2. Creativity - I'm going to make a list of things I want to do and learn, and then make myself do them. I like this stuff. I just need to make it a priority. More on this soon.
3. Knowledge - I'm a smart cookie. However, there's always those subjects that make me feel like a dunce. I'm making yet another list - this one on subjects I want to know more about. Then I'm going to educate myself some more.
4. Culture - I'm upping my attendance at interesting cultural events. I'm also going to figure out the books and films that I think are important for filling in some of my gaps.
5. Thoughtfulness - Right now I'm going for more emails and letters and comments to people that I care about. I'm the queen of gathering my friends together for parties and events. However, I absolutely despise the phone. Since I really don't want to become a huge phone gabber, I'm going to up my other forms of thoughtful communication.
6. Looks - Its about damn time I learned some new hairstyles and makeup techniques. If I want to improve my everyday appearance, I need to learn and practice this stuff. I'm determined to do one good thing for myself once a week.
That's the whole shebang. Expect some updates. Man do I love setting lofty goals for myself. Even if I don't accomplish everything I dream of, by setting some goals I am sure to accomplish something.
Anyway, the outfit is cute and you all can expect some more inspiration regularly.
I'm also doing some serious introspection and goal-setting for myself. Expect a windier post soon.