Sunday, January 11, 2009

MLK Day of Service

I'm very excited about next weekend. Not only is it a long weekend for many of us (hurrah!), but it's also a Day of Service in honor of Martin Luther King. Apparently, it's been a national day of service since 1994, but this is the first I've learned of it somehow.

President-elect Obama is doing a big call for people to do some service for their community over the long weekend. The charity I work at has been inundated with calls from groups wanting to help. This is perfect timing as a lot of the excitement over helping our fellow man seems to die down after January 1st every year. You can find an event near you by searching the Obama site, contacting your local volunteer organization, or just by planning your own event.

Hold a bakesale and donate proceeds to a local community organization. Pick up litter around your neighborhood. Ask friends and family to gather some nonperishable food items and take them to a local food bank or pantry. Take some warm clothes, blankets, hats, and gloves to the local shelter. Write out a check and send it to that charity whose work you've always admired. Send them an email while you're at it and ask them what kind of help they are most in need of. Do whatever is close to your heart to help those in need in your neighborhood.

I'm so excited about the buzz happening around this event. Just think of the how better the world can be if we all took just a bit of time to help.

My husband and I have decided to go give blood that day. I'm pondering what other good deed we shall tackle. Since I work in a nonprofit there are several that are near and dear to my heart. I think we'll manage some clothing donations to the shelter this week as well.

No comments: