Monday, March 31, 2008

The Line Between

I read The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle for the Mythopoeic Award Challenge. This is the second book I've finished out of the seven I agreed to take on. Its a book of short stories so how about I review them individually?


1. Two Hearts is the sequel to The Last Unicorn. Apparently Mr. Beagle is working on a sequel. I'm probably the only person in the world who's not looking forward to this. I like how the characters were left in the last book thank you very much. The story isn't bad but it didn't do it for me. Probably because I'm a grouch.

2. Four Fables. Meh.

3. El Regalo I adored. Make this one into a book instead! A sister discovers that her annoying little brother is a witch - a very powerful one. Of course, that doesn't stop him from being a typical obnoxious little brother. It makes for a really good story.

4. Gordon the Self-Made Cat - all about a mouse who decides to become a cat. Too cutesy for my taste.

5. Quarry is a prequel to another book of Beagle's that I haven't read. It was really good though - all about two outsiders running from some scary folk. I may have to pick up "The INnkeeper's Song just to discover what follows.

6. Salt Wine was good and creepy. All about the dealings with a male mermaid which are apparently called "merrows" and are as ugly as the mermaids are bewitching. Very well done.

7. Mr. Sigerson is a Sherlock Holmes-ish tale. Not a bad story really. It deals with an investigation into some strange dealings with a cellist and his wife. However, had the notes not said that this was him playing with the Holmes character, I never would have realized it. Maybe I need to add some. Holmes and Watson into my reading.

8. A Dance for Emilia - really touching and lovely. I want to dream of the kind of dance that takes place in this story.

So it was a bit of a mixed bag. Enchanting in some places and a pure slog in others.

No comments: