Thursday, January 3, 2008

Bookishness



I've resisted participating in one of these reading challenges, but a fresh new year has me prepared to throw myself headfirst into two of them. I always have to overdo everything.



The first I'm doing is the Mythopoeic Challege to read 7 award winners this year. Mostly chosen cause I love mythic lit. My list is:

1. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (which I've been meaning to read forever.)

2. Something Rich and Strange by Patricia McKillip

3. The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by A.S. Byatt

4. The Porelain Dove by Delia Sherman

5. The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle

6. The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood (Adore everything she ever wrote)

7. Mortal Love by Elizabeth Hand



And two just-in-case-I-hate-something substitutes are:

1. Summerland by Michale Chabon

2. Giant Bones by Peter S. Beagle




The second challenge I cannot resist is the Chunkster Challenge.




I have to read 4 books of 450 pages or more regular type. Sounds like fun!

Here's my picks:

1. Zelda: A Biography by Nancy Milford (just edging in at 467 pages)

2. The Mitford Girls by Mary Lovell (624 pages)

3. Misfortune by Wesley Stace (544 pages)

4. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (at a whopping 900+ pages)

Alternates:
1. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (640 pages)

2. Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

Oh my! Better keep my library card handy!

No comments: