Saturday, March 8, 2008

one glittering higher up still

I'm behind on posting some reviews. The fact that all I can see outside my window is snow means I'll be doing plenty more reading, watching, and crafting. So look for multiple posts this weekend.
My very favorite read recently is Anne of Green Gables. I'm determined to read everything L.M. Montgomery has ever written. (Its on my 101 list to the right). However, I stalled on getting started cause I thought I'd be bored by the first couple of books since I've watched the movies eleventy gazillion times. Not so! They are so sweet and charming and funny. I can't wait to dig into Anne of Avonlea!

One excerpt had me scrambling to write it down:

"Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions. I'm so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them-- that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting."


Entirely a different sort of book form Anne, but I also enjoyed Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Murder mysteries are not my typical thing, but a detective who's also a serial killer? Count me as intrigued. I like it - an no, I haven't seen the tv series yet. I'll probably wait until I've read all the series available as of yet. Its an interesting book, but did anyone else feel like the ending was a bit rushed?


I snagged The World's Wife to add a bit of poetry to my reading. I really really liked Mrs. Midas and Mrs. Darwin. The rest I felt a little meh about. Still the concept of poetry from the view of historical and mythilogical wives is a great one.


I'm a Wes Anderson junkie. I love how he portrays family dysfunction. Still, the story in Darjeeling Limited felt a bit lacking. However, the scene on the train where it showed all the characters in a row really redeemed it for me. I could probably watch that scene over and over again. Plus Adrien Brody was pretty awesome.

No comments: