Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Readings and Watchings

Reading this book had me enthralled. All about teenagers and vampires and drama. I'm giddily awaiting my turn in getting the next one from the library - you know after the 100 people on the list in front of me finish it.

I like Nick Bantock. Loved his Griffin & Sabine books more than I can say. This one was alright. The story and the art - good but nothing stunning. What is stunning is his North African collages.


This book was so hard to put down. Its about the city where the dead live and how they relate to those still on earth - all the while a devastating plague is running rampant among the living. Fascinating story.

I'm determined to watch all the movies Cary Grant ever made. The last one I saw was Once Upon a Honeymoon starring Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers. Its a comedy....set as part of WWII....part of it takes place in the Jewish ghettos in Poland. Not the best idea for a comedy I think.

The Giver is a really interesting children's book that seems timely to me. It points out the dangers of security when a community takes it too far. Seems fitting in our day of wire taps and terror headlines and stupidity.

I watched Note on a Scandal last night. What's not to love? Judi Dench! Cate Blanchett! A creepy suspenseful storyline! Very good movie.

Prodigal Summer was so good. Three storylines about people in a tiny appalachian community. I cracked up a few times over Garnett Walker, fell a bit in love with Lusa, and loved the descriptions of Deanna's surroundings. It made me want to live on a farm again for a brief moment - and that's pretty nutty coming from me who lurves living in a city. Very good read!


No comments: