Sunday, September 9, 2007

Whiling Away my Time

I've been ravenously reading books and watching movies when I really should be enjoying the last bit of summer. I don't know what's wrong with me.

But here's what I've been up to.

I read Pirates! An Adventure with Scientists in a day. Brief and silly but not as silly as I would have hoped. I don't know if I'll pick up any more of this fellow's books.

I watched the PBS/BBC series Regency House Party which is the fabulous combination of educational and realty tv. Luckily the personalities are not insane like on most realty shows so it was really fun to see the costumes and the house. The various shows they've done about different time periods mainly teach of to be thankful for the feminist movement. Life over the ages has traditionally sucked for women.


I love Katharine Hepburn & Cary Grant. Why then have I never watched The Philadelphia Story? Loved it!

I watched Strangers in Good Company - a docudrama about senior women and its slow and wonderful and mad me get a little teray eyed now and then when they flashed to pictures of these old dames in their younger days. The set up is all fictitious but almost everything the women say and do is unscripted and comes from their own experiences. Really lovely.


Here's one of those nice moments when the movie is on par with the book. I loved 84, Charing Cross Road when I read it and liked it just as much watching it. It doesn't hurt that I think Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft are amazing.


This is a young adult novel I breezed through in a day - The Invention of Hugo Cabret. It looks like a tome at 500 and some pages but at least half of it is drawings. It was alright. Nothing spectacular in my book.

Okay, so I seem to be on an Anthony Hopkins or a Katharine Hepburn kick. Lion in Winter is great. Did I mention that I really like Peter O'Toole too?
I also watched The Quiet Man - cute but the spousal dragging about is a bit much I think. And for all my love of old movie starts, I can't really drum up a whole lot of enthusiasm for John Wayne. I'm fascinated with Maureen O'Hara's blue and red costume in the beginning. Its bright and almost gypsy-ish.



No comments: