Friday, September 21, 2007

Library Addiction

I am obviously a super book nerd. My list of checked out library materials is almost shameful. I've been reading a really interesting book blog, A Work in Progress, and the author shares her list of checked out materials.

Here's my insane list:

1. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm - my current read. Its quick which is the only good thing I have to say about it at the moment. She's so annoyingly good, and the author loves to remind you all the time about how much better and more interesting and more intelligent Rebecca is than the other children she knows. Its obnoxious. I'm starting to hope for a tragic downfall for the little snot. I picked it up because its a classic, and if it weren't such a quick read, I'd have quit and taken it back to the library before now.

2. Last Call by Tim Powers - I picked this up because I read somewhere that his books inspired the HBO Carnivale series. Its going back to the library before I even crack it open. The story sounds interesting, but the type is impossible. Maybe I'll reserve a different edition of this one.

3. Ocean
4. The Deep - both picked up because of their prettiness. Astounding ocean photography to marvel at and ponder as inspiration for oddball craft projects. Probably won't read hardly any of these - just look at the pictures.

5. The Straight Man by Richard Russo - picked up because I loved Empire Falls.

6. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - I have a desire to read all of Montgomery's books. Makes sense to start at the begining. Plus Anne is far less annoying than Rebecca.

7. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer - I get a desire for something in a Regency setting now and then. Heyer is a classic and I've not read a single book of hers so far.

8. Femme fatale : love, lies, and the unknown life of Mata Hari - nonfiction book picked up on impulse from the new book section.

9. The Great Influenza - another nonfiction book that's been on my to-read list forever.

10. The Black Tulip by Dumas - Loved The Count of Monte Cristo, but I've never even heard of this one.

11. Setting Free the Bears - Also trying to read all of Irvings novels. The type on this one is not so great either, but I may give it a shot anyway.

12. Clouds and Eclipses by Gore Vidal - Never read any of his work and short stories seemed a good way to dip my toe in.

13. Fables: Homelands by Bill Willingham - A graphic novel series that I'm currently hooked on. I'm okay with geeking out now and then.

Plus movies:
1. Quiz Show - Robert Redford!
2. LA Confidential
3. Driving Miss Daisy
4. Country Boys
First three picked because I'm on an Oscar nominated movie watching kick. The last is a documentary I've heard good things about.

And if that's not nutty enough, I'm into books on tape in the car now.
1. The Brief History of the Dead - so freaking good so far!
2. Running with Scissors by Augusten Borroughs - I'm curious to see what the hype is about


The good thing is my library has insane amounts of time you can borrow books for as long as no one else has a reserve placed for it. Plus I'm able to reserve most of my stuff online and just pick them up. I think I end up reading at least half of what I check out at any given time. I just need a large selection so I'm prepared for whatever mood strikes me.

No comments: